The descriptive essay is considered to be the simplest in comparison with its other types. This is due to the fact that this type of paper does not involve asserting your point of view or building a complex system of arguments. The meaning of a descriptive essay is to describe a particular issue, object, person, and explain it to the reader. Together with professionals from WriteMyEssayOnline, we have prepared tips for you on how to write a good descriptive essay.
What is a descriptive essay?
In this case, the main goal is to draw a picture for the reader with words. Usually, the author describes situations, people, or objects, laying down a deeper meaning in simple descriptions. Usually, such texts affect readers’ emotions; the task is also to bring them to some conclusions based on what they read.
Writing a descriptive essay should be preceded by the process of selecting a topic, finding and studying literature. If you have been given a general topic, then it must be narrowed. Otherwise, you will not be able to fit into a small volume and, at the same time, to reveal the topic qualitatively. For example, the “Culture of Asia” topic is so extensive that you can consider the composition of the country’s peoples, the interaction of different cultures, the history of Asian culture, and dozens of other issues. It is only necessary to add details to the theme as it becomes more concrete. For example, you can review the culture of a particular region, city, etc.
After defining the topic, dedicate sufficient time to the selection and studying of the material. Your task is not to find the information and rewrite it, but to look for interesting facts in different sources. To do this, you will need electronic and printed periodicals, directories, news, legal, and other websites that provide the most up-to-date information.
During such work, be sure to carefully write out quotations and sources so that when you write an essay, you do not have to look for the same literature again. It is best to study the rules of citation in essays in advance. It will save you a lot of time in future work.
Working on a draft of an essay
- The descriptive essay begins with an introduction. Since any essay is designed to interest the reader, from the first lines, you need to tell them something important, valuable, exciting, so they want to read your work further. It can be a shocking statistic about a topical problem, an intrigue about an extraordinary invention, a funny short story, a long quote, or something like that.
- After that, you should immediately explain to the reader what your article will be about. Whether you will describe the life activities of a famous person, tell about a popular book or a historical event, you should designate it. For example, in the case of a famous personality, it is worth briefly introduce them to the reader.
- Write the main thesis of your essay. It should express the main idea of the work, which you will prove in its main part. Note that the thesis should not be controversial or contradictory. There should be no hesitation or denial.
- Make the transition from the introduction to the main part with one or two sentences. For example, you could describe the main ideas to be revealed in work, or invite the reader to examine the topic in more detail.
- In the main part of the descriptive essay, move on to the evidence of the thesis described. The easiest way to do this is to use the basic ideas. Describing one new idea, you must provide the appropriate evidence. For example, you have identified three features of culture in Japan. In the main part, you indicate the first characteristic and prove it with particular facts. Next, you need to present the rest of the ideas consistently, each time justifying them. Evidence may include statistical information, interviews, statements by famous people, and more.
- In the conclusion of the essay, it is time to return to the thesis formulated in the introduction and to present it from new points of view.
In the final part of the essay, it is also recommended to summarize the basic ideas and to complete the work with a certain statement, an appeal to the reader for some action, or identification of a new question.
If it is difficult for you to keep in mind a lot of ideas and evidence to them, we recommend making a rough plan. The plan should note what you are going to consider in the introduction of the essay, its main and final parts.
Correction and check of an essay.
If you want to get a high score for your essay, after writing a draft, it is worth doing a thorough review. Reread your paper several times, mercilessly delete unsuccessful paragraphs, add new arguments, find more catchy phrases — this way, you get a really deep and interesting essay. If you doubt that everything is correct regarding your language, you can always use some grammar and spelling checking tools. There is another trick to check your essay for mistakes. You can start reading from the end, checking each word independently.
Ideally, an essay is not written for a teacher, but for readers, so it makes sense to show it to a few friends or relatives. Do not be afraid of criticism or spend an extra half an hour, because your task is to learn how to write such works, not to pass them just to check the box.
But this is not all. After the final approval of the content of a descriptive essay, you need to design it properly.
The most crucial rule of writing a descriptive essay is to show, not to tell. Try to create an atmosphere in which your reader will immerse himself and will be able to feel all that you wanted to show him.